Sample Preparation Supervisor
- Augusta (Richmond County)
Aurubis – metallurgy is our passion. We are a leading global multi-metal company and one of the largest copper recyclers worldwide. We process complex metal concentrates, scrap metals, and metal-bearing recycling materials into metals of the highest purity. These metals serve as the basis for key megatrends such as digitalization, renewable energies, e-mobility, and urbanization. Aurubis has about 7,100 employees, production sites in Europe and the US, and an extensive worldwide distribution system. Join our team and promote progress together with us!
We are now excitedly seeking to fill positions at our newest facility located in Augusta, GA (Richmond County). We are committed to leading the way by influencing a sustainable future for our communities, by developing innovative solutions and by positively affecting the lives of our employees.
The full-time position of an onsite SAMPLE PREPARATION SUPERVISOR reports to the Sample Preparation & Laboratory Manager. The person will lead the sample preparation team. This person will be responsible for operating the sample preparation equipment and establishing an atmosphere of operational excellence within the team, operating incineration and induction furnaces to prepare samples, generating a homogenous and representative sample with various equipment in fine preparation and handling materials with appropriate mobile equipment. A successful candidate will have proven demonstration of day-to-day operations in operating sample preparation equipment (preferably electronic scraps) paired with exceptional leadership skills, is committed to quality and accuracy in performing assigned tasks, used to work in shifts, and is focused on safety and environmental topics.
The position’s focus is the execution, coordination, monitoring, as well as continuous optimization of workflows within sample preparation with a focus on recycling raw materials for non-ferrous metallurgy. This includes leading a sample preparation shift in operating sample preparation equipment for all required materials while maximizing quality, balancing costs, and minimizing risks. This role supports the Sample Preparation and Laboratory Manager in establishing operational excellence within the facility.
Sample Preparation Supervisor
- Professionally correct execution of sample preparation of raw materials, including operating sample preparation equipment.
- Supervising sample preparation of raw materials to generate representative samples.
- Organize, coordinate, and carry out a (more or less) fixed number of largely recurring, defined activities in the sample preparation department, such as but not limited to operating, cleaning, and maintaining various industrial sample preparation equipment.
- The operation also includes cleaning and, if necessary, simple maintenance work. The employee usually performs his tasks according to clear instructions. Examples for maintenance works are changing crucible, refractory channel lining, chiseling, and sand layer change.
- Prepare samples for smelting and execute smelting process, including inspection of the sampling material for hazards, e.g., hollow bodies with water inclusion, ammunition, etc. after training.
- Operating furnace equipment includes tasks such as inspecting furnaces and filter chambers, changing of filter bags, inspection of rapping units, charging, and operating the furnace with sample material including scraping, and casting.
- Prepare sample bags for shipping.
- Securing separation of different batches to always avoid contaminations.
- Handling material with forklifts, high lift stackers or cranes from time to time.
- Performing basic calculations on different contents of materials.
- Registering material flows and melting operations in corresponding IT-systems.
- Executing stock taking activities in respective areas of responsibility.
- Complying with company instructions e.g., on health & safety, environmental protection.
- Knowing and understanding the processes and procedures in the direct field of activity
- Assuring quality and actively participating in continuous improvement programs.
- Must successfully communicate, interact, and interface with international and domestic employees and/or managers of various levels regarding operational and non-operational topics. Examples include sample preparation, laboratory, sampling, logistics, engineers, production, maintenance, customer services, purchasing.
- Contact with external suppliers or their representatives, internal customers, purchasing and customer service department, to identify, research, analyze and resolve challenges.
- Meets performance measurement goals & establishes KPI tracking for operative responsible area.
- Establishes corrective actions for underperforming metrics to ensure performance standards are met.
- Responsible to achieve set lead times in Sample Preparation area.
- Minimum of 3 years practical experience in related sample preparation operations/ sampling/ estimation/ smelting/ external sample preparation auditor professions.
- Proven leadership experience with demonstrated ability to work in and through teams at all levels of the workforce.
- Proven work experience in operating sample preparation equipment ideally in an international environment.
- Possess driving license for at least one of the following: forklifts, crane.
- Deep understanding of processes within sampling of raw metal containing materials.
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite).
- Solid knowledge of potentially hazardous materials or practices in the workplace.
- Solid knowledge of environmental protection, occupational safety, and labor law standards.
- If filled with an internal current employee of Aurubis, individual must be willing to relocate to the US for a minimum of three (3) years with a possibility of extension upon approval, if needed.
- Must be conversant in current DOT and OSHA regulations.
- Apprenticeship in a technical profession or 2 (three) years equivalent advanced work as proven subject matter expert and/or related military experience.
- Willing to review candidates with an associate or high school degree only if candidate has a proven success record of three to five (3-5) years equivalent experience in comparable role.
- Open to obtaining additional certification at the company’s request.
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to perform the following: walking, standing, climbing, pulling, and or pushing, carrying, grasping, using hand-to-finger movement, balancing, reaching, twisting, turning and stooping for most of every day.
- May occasionally be required to reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Ability to walk and/or stand for extended periods of time.
- 401(k) with company match
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Competitive Vacation Plan
- ...and more!
Aurubis is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to national or ethnic origin, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or other characteristics protected by law.
What does Aurubis stand for? Take a look here!
Aurubis considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law.