Sample Preparation Operator
- Augusta (Richmond County)
Aurubis – metallurgy is our passion. We are a leading global multi-metal company and one of the largest copper recyclers worldwide. We process complex metal concentrates, scrap metals, and metal-bearing recycling materials into metals of the highest purity. These metals serve as the basis for key megatrends such as digitalization, renewable energies, e-mobility, and urbanization. Aurubis has about 7,100 employees, production sites in Europe and the US, and an extensive worldwide distribution system. Join our team and promote progress together with us!
We are now excitedly seeking to fill positions at our newest facility located in Augusta, GA (Richmond County). We are committed to leading the way by influencing a sustainable future for our communities, by developing innovative solutions and by positively effecting the lives of our employees.
The full-time position of onsite SAMPLE PREPARATION OPERATOR reports to the Sample Preparation Supervisor and is responsible for operating the sample preparation equipment in a proper manner with a strong inference on quality. This includes contributing to establishing an atmosphere of operational excellence within the team, operating incineration, and induction furnaces to prepare samples, generating a homogenous and representative sample with various equipment in fine preparation and handling materials with appropriate mobile equipment. The successful candidate will have proven demonstration of day-to-day operations in operating sample preparation equipment (preferably electronic scraps), is committed to quality and accuracy in performing assigned tasks, used to work in shifts, and is focused on safety and environmental topics.
The position’s focus is the execution, as well as continuous optimization of workflows within sample preparation with a focus on recycling raw materials for non-ferrous metallurgy. This includes working in a fixed shift in operating sample preparation equipment for all required materials while maximizing quality, balancing costs, and minimizing risks. This role supports the Sample Preparation and Laboratory Manager in establishing operational excellence within the laboratory.
Sample Preparation Operator
- Execute a limited number of largely recurring, defined activities in the sample preparation department, such as but not limited to operating, cleaning, and maintaining various industrial sample preparation equipment.
- Prepare samples for smelting and execute smelting process, including inspection of the sampling material for hazards, e.g., hollow bodies with water inclusion, ammunition, etc.
- Operating furnace equipment includes tasks such as inspecting furnaces and filter chambers, changing of filter bags, inspection of rapping units, charging, and operating the furnace with sample material including scraping, and casting.
- Operating sample preparation equipment such as incineration and induction furnaces, several mills, and sieves, etc.
- Prepare sample bags for shipping.
- Securing separation of different batches to always avoid contaminations.
- Handling material with forklifts, high lift stackers or cranes from time to time. Must be able to drive listed mobile equipment.
- Performing basic calculations on different contents of materials.
- Registering material flows and melting operations in corresponding IT-systems.
- Executing stock taking activities in respective areas of responsibility.
- Professionally handling of claim management.
- Complying with company instructions e.g., on health & safety, environmental protection.
- Assuring quality and actively participating in continuous improvement programs.
- Must successfully communicate, interact, and interface with international and domestic employees and/or managers of various levels regarding operational and non-operational topics. Examples of roles include sample preparation, laboratory, sampling, logistics, engineers, production, maintenance, customer services, purchasing.
- Contact with external suppliers or their representatives, internal customers, purchasing and customer service department, to identify, research, analyze and resolve challenges.
- Responsible to achieve set lead times in Sample Preparation area.
- Minimum of 3 years practical experience in related sample preparation operations/ sampling/ estimation/ smelting/ external sample preparation auditor professions.
- Demonstrated ability to work in and through teams at all levels of the workforce.
- Proven work experience in operating sample preparation equipment ideally in an international environment.
- Possess driving license for at least one of the following: forklifts, crane.
- Deep understanding of processes within sampling of raw metal containing materials.
- Basic computer skills (business system, email, Microsoft Office Suite).
- Solid knowledge of potentially hazardous materials or practices in the workplace.
- Solid knowledge of environmental protection, occupational safety, and labor law standards.
- If filled with an internal current employee of Aurubis, individual must be willing to relocate to the US for a minimum of three (3) years with a possibility of extension upon approval, if needed.
- Must be conversant in current DOT and OSHA regulations.
- Basic experience with ERP systems (SAP) and product flows.
- Knowledge of lean/process improvement methodologies.
- Knowledge of and/or Experience with TPS principles is a plus.
- APICS certification(s), a plus.
- Experience with a start-up of a plant is beneficial.
- Ability to read and interpret prints, drawings, and layouts.
- Speaking and listening language skills in a 2nd language is a benefit, ideally German.
- Apprenticeship in a technical profession or 2 (three) years equivalent advanced work as proven subject matter expert and/or related military experience.
- Willing to review candidates with an associate or high school degree only if candidate has a proven success record of three to five (3-5) years equivalent experience in comparable role.
- Willing to obtaining additional certification at the company’s request.
- Must be able to perform the following: walking, standing, climbing, pulling, and or pushing, carrying, grasping, using hand-to-finger movement, balancing, reaching, twisting, turning and stooping for most of every day.
- May occasionally be required to reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Ability to walk and/or stand for extended periods of time.
- Good physical condition with the ability to lift 50 lbs. or more occasionally.
- Good hand/eye coordination, motor skills, 20/20 corrected vision and hearing within the normal range. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- 401(k) with company match
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Competitive Vacation Plan
- ...and more!
Aurubis is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to national or ethnic origin, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or other characteristics protected by law.
What does Aurubis stand for? Take a look here!
Aurubis considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law.