- Augusta (Richmond County)
Aurubis – metallurgy is our passion. We are a leading global multi-metal company and one of the largest copper recyclers worldwide. We process complex metal concentrates, scrap metals, and metal-bearing recycling materials into metals of the highest purity. These metals serve as the basis for key megatrends such as digitalization, renewable energies, e-mobility, and urbanization. Aurubis has about 7,100 employees, production sites in Europe and the US, and an extensive worldwide distribution system. Join our team and promote progress together with us!
The full-time position of an onsite SHREDDER OPERATOR reports to the Shredder Team Lead as part of the Quality Team and is responsible for operating the shredder equipment in a professionally and technically correct way with focus on quality in Aurubis Richmond. This includes (but is not limited to): feeding shredders with excavators or wheel loaders, operating, cleaning, and maintaining different shredder equipment and supervising automatic sampling of raw materials. The successful candidate will have proven demonstration of day-to-day operations in operating shredder equipment (preferably electronic scraps) paired with experience in handling mobile equipment, is committed to quality and accuracy in performing assigned tasks, used to work in shifts, and is focused on safety and environmental topics.
The position’s focus is the execution, as well as continuous optimization of workflows within sample preparation with a focus on recycling raw materials for non-ferrous metallurgy. This includes working in a fixed shift in operating shredder and other Quality Team equipment for all required materials while maximizing quality, balancing costs, and minimizing risks. This role supports the Quality Team Manager in establishing operational excellence in Aurubis Richmond.
- Professionally correct execution of material pre-processing of raw materials, including operating Quality Team equipment, mainly shredders.
- Execution of a limited number activities in the material pre-processing department, such as but not limited to feeding, operating, cleaning, maintaining various industrial shredder equipment.
- The operation also includes cleaning and, if necessary, simple maintenance work. The employee usually performs his tasks according to clear instructions.
- Securing separation of different batches to avoid contaminations.
- Feeding shredders with excavators or wheel loaders; handling material with forklifts, high lift stackers or cranes from time to time. Must be able to drive listed mobile equipment.
- Supervising automatic sampling of raw materials to generate representative samples.
- Inspection of the sampling material for hazards, e.g., hollow bodies with water inclusion, ammunition, etc. after training.
- Performing basic calculations on different contents of materials.
- Operating sampling equipment such as but not limited to heating cabinets, scales.
- Registering material flows in corresponding IT-systems.
- Executing stock taking activities in respective areas of responsibility.
- Professionally handling of claim management.
- Complying with company instructions e.g., on health & safety, environmental protection.
- Complying with company rules and regulations.
- Economic behavior about material and time expenditure.
- Provision of work equipment.
- Preparing workstations for e.g., maintenance (tasks).
- Knowing and understanding the processes and procedures in the direct field of activity
- Assuring quality and actively participating in continuous improvement programs.
- Proactive exchange of information with Operators and Manager (process/condition of aggregates).
- Coordination and communication of material flows and assessments within and across department.
- Must successfully communicate, interact, and interface with international and domestic employees of various levels regarding operational and non-operational topics. Examples of roles include (but not limited to): sampling, logistics, laboratory, sample preparation, engineers, production, maintenance, customer services, purchasing.
- Contact with external suppliers or their representatives, internal customers, purchasing and customer service department, to identify, research, analyze and resolve challenges.
- Acts in an industrial environment with high level of compliancy rules (safety, environment, quality).
- Is aware of and follows performance measurement & KPI tracking for operative responsible area. Establishes corrective actions for underperforming metrics to ensure performance standards are met.
- Minimum of 3 years practical experience in related shredder operations/ sampling/ estimation/ sample preparation professions.
- Demonstrated ability to work in and through teams at all levels of the workforce.
- Proven work experience in operating industrial shredders ideally in an international environment.
- Possess driving license for at least one of the following: forklifts, wheel loader, excavator, crane.
- Deep understanding of processes within sampling of raw metal containing materials.
- Basic computer skills (business system, email, Microsoft Office Suite).
- Solid knowledge of potentially hazardous materials or practices in the workplace.
- Solid knowledge of environmental protection, occupational safety, and labor law standards.
- If filled with an internal current employee of Aurubis, individual must be willing to relocate to the US for a minimum of three (3) years with a possibility of extension upon approval, if needed.
- Must be conversant in current DOT and OSHA regulations.
- 401(k) with company match
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Competitive Vacation Plan
- ...and more!
Aurubis is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to national or ethnic origin, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or other characteristics protected by law.
What does Aurubis stand for? Take a look here!
Aurubis considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law.